Wednesday, January 30, 2008

#16 - June 19th 2007 – Southwestern Uganda Trip – Lake Bunyonyi

Shhhhh……

We talk too much. Too damn much. Pardon my language but I’ve just had this shocking revelation and feel the need to express myself. We talk and talk and talk, rarely listening, rarely taking a minute to think about what we are saying. Today I have had, quite possibly, the most noiseless day of my life, but the moment I am around the other Muzungus staying here all I hear is “blah, blah, blah, blah,” not to mention the swearing and the “um, like…yeah’s”. The complaining, the bragging, etc. I am, of course, completely guilty of being an over-talker myself, as most of you probably know, but I am quickly beginning to realize that periods of talking must be followed by long periods of silence. The overarching theme of my journal entries on this island seems to be having space and time to think. I apologize if this gets monotonous. I feel that unless I write honestly, unless I write what I feel, it will come out forced and unnatural. Bear with me through these next couple of entries as I philosophize through my days of solitude. Yes, I am with Natalie and Peter, Lindsey and Andrea, and of course we talk and laugh, play poker and drink, play ultimate, etc, etc. But we also spend time alone, swimming, reading, studying Luganda, thinking.

Today was a typical day on the island. After spending the morning alone, we all met at the dock. I traversed down the narrow dirt path, through the tall banana palms, my ears delighting in the sweet chirps of yellow birds. A white wooden dock protruded from the shore, through the reeds, into the dark lake water. The sun poked between a thin layer of clouds and I grabbed the chance to plunge my feet into the tepid water. Gloriously refreshing. A quick swim before the fear of water animals overwhelmed me. Up on the dock I tended to an already-forming burn. Doxycyline, my malaria medication, ensures that less than ten minutes of sun turns me into a pretty shade of pink. The rest of the day was spent perfecting my “flick” for ultimate, wondering slowly around the island to capture birds and flowers on film, writing, and reading. The other Muzungus here (not part of our group) spent the day talking in the common area. They didn’t see the island, didn’t meet the locals at the island’s northern edge, didn’t experience the solitude or the calm. I am afraid I have often failed to do these things myself, but hopefully now that will change.

~Nicole

No comments: