Friday, January 25, 2008

#10.5 - June 10th 2007

A day in the life…

His name is Junior. His skin is dark chocolate, almost midnight black. You cannot see the pupils of his deep brown eyes. He has the build of a typical twenty-something who sees regular time at the gym. He walks with confidence, yet has the air of a humble philosopher. Thoughtful, considerate, wise. He will be turning twenty-three before he begins his second year of Business Economics. He rises early to taxi to class, he returns late to the taxi park then walks the hour home to save the cost of transport. He arrives home to a zoo of young boys, practicing their trumpets, boxing, reciting school work, singing, praying. By the time he eats it might be 10pm. Rice and beans. Posho and peas. matoke and chicken on a good day. No after-school snack…no at-school snack on a bad day. Breakfast? How about some tea? The pressure of responsibility to his sponsor weighs on his shoulders. University in Uganda is only for the rich and the sponsored. Essays must be written, tests must be studied for, presentations must be prepared, but when, with twenty teenagers piling around your bed, needing your advice, craving your attention, looking to you as a father-figure. In the ‘winter’ of the night, that’s when. He sleeps atop his bed, a bed that sits crammed in a room with five other beds piled high to the ceiling, filled with upwards of ten restless boys. The chill night awakens him for studying around two or three, the only time to fill the brain with knowledge that will lead to a better life. He maintains an A- average but hopes to improve. He is taking courses I can barely pronounce. He is quick and witty and intriguing.

I have yet to learn of his history, of why he lives here with the boys – what happened to his parents? What are the thoughts that cross his mind as he climbs the long hill home each night? What disasters befell his youth? What struggles does he tend to above those I already know of? There are undoubtedly many. What does he fear? What does he love? To whom does he seek advice and support? This young man, on the surface so similar to me; a student, a sibling, loves to dance, loves to sing, loves kids, a passion for history, concerned about the state of the world, a big fan of smiling and laughter – underneath, the circumstances couldn’t be more opposed. His parents are not in the picture, he relies on the support of a faceless foreigner, his government would never put him through school as mine did. No car, no laptop, no sanctuary. I walked ten minutes to reach campus, he takes over an hour by foot and by taxi. I had the pleasure of rooming with two of my best friends, he contends with more than a dozen orphaned street kids. My A- average no longer carries the same meaning…actually it seems quite laughable. I honestly do not know how long I would last in Junior’s situation. I do not know if I am composed of the same fiber, the same strength. I imagine what I could accomplish if I applied myself with the same drive and determination.

~Nicole

No comments: